Sunday 21 February 2010

High Tove, High Seat and Armboth Fell - 5.3 miles

Yet another clear and sunny day in the Lakes! Today I was joined with my first guest Wainwrighter!  Hopefully it won't be the last, people are always welcome to join me!

We headed up to the NT car park at Watendlarth, stopping off a surprise view on the way up.  From the car we took the clear path heading towards High Tove.  As we gained height it was clear that Watendlath Tarn was frozen.



Watendlath Tarn frozen over

The clear path soon disappeared once we crossed the fence line.  But the normally boggy underfoot conditions were frozen so it was a pleasant stroll across the plateau to the cairn marking the top of High Tove. 

Carin on High Tove, with Dale Head behind me

Sarah on High Tove

High Tove cairn with High Seat in the background

Armboth fell in the foreground and the Helvellyn range in the distance from High Tove

From High Tove we followed the fence up to High Seat.  There we encountered the odd patch of snow, but nothing too deep.


High Seat summit cairn

The trig point on High Seat

Looking towards Helvellyn from High Seat

Me on the trig point on High Seat!

The wind picked up a little on the top of High Seat, so we dropped down to find some shelter to have a break.  And what an eventful break it was.  Firstly we meet Sail Chapman.  Who is he you may be asking?  Well last year at the age of 5 became the youngest person to complete all the Wainwrights!! An impressive achievement.  He was out helping his sister complete her round.  I often think that the parents of these 'youngest to do....' types must be pushing them.   But it was clear that Sail and his brothers and sisters were having a great time out in the fells.  I just I wished I had half their energy!!

After they had left two young ladies (from eastern Europe I think) came and asked the classic question, "do you have a map?"!  If only I had a pound for every time I get asked this!!  They had go a map from the Barrow house Youth Hostel and set off.  When I say map, what I mean is a hand drawn route, not to scale missing some important features! So I showed them where they should be heading and off they set.  I haven't heard of any news stories of 2 young ladies getting lost......

From High Seat we decided to head back towards High Tove and then onto Armboth Fell.  This doesn't have an obvious top, so we took a direct line across the heather to what we thought was the highest point.

On top of Armboth Fell

Sarah and I on Armboth Fell

Looking across to High Seat

The sun came out and the views were wonderful :-)

The clouds started to build to we decided to take the most direct route back to the car.  As we descended into Watendlath, we could see some people at the side of the tarn.  So when we got the car, we decided to go and see what they were up to.  To out amazement, they were diving under the ice in the tarn.  Rather them than me!


So that's another three completed, and yet another day in which the weather was stunning.  So far I have been very lucky with the conditions, long may that continue. 

2 comments:

  1. Rick - I've never seen weather in the Lakes like you've had, and I'm beginning to think this is all done in photoshop!!

    Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really has been this good Tim, becuase I am not that good at Photoshop!!!

    I just hope it continues so I can enjoy the rest as much as I have the ones I have already done.

    ReplyDelete