Sunday 14 February 2010

Mellbreak & Hen Comb (13/02/10) - 6.4 miles

After last weekend's break I headed down to Loweswater for an early start.  Really glad I did as I go to see a young deer with its mother and a red squirrel before I had made the car park!  At the Maggie's Bridge National Trust car park I found a VW camper van, not sure what they were doing but they quickly close the curtains when I pulled in!


From the car I headed towards to Kirkstile Inn, they preparing breakfasts for the guests and it smelt wonderful.  However, I was string and walked passed and headed for the farm track which would take me to Melbreak.


Mellbreak


As I walked through the small plantation of pines I saw my second red squirrel of the day.  I did try to get a picture, but I didn't have my zoom lens with me so the result wasn't worth putting on here sadly.  From there the path steeped and I was soon onto the scree.


The path through the scree on Mellbreak

There seemed to have been some damage to the path during the winter which I guess is to be expected on this steep scree.  However, it wasn't so badly damaged that I could make progress to the summit.  The clouds were starting to build as I reached the top and I wondered how much longer I would be out of it.


Looking south from Mellbreak towards Red Pike, High Stile and Fleetwith Pike in the distance



Mellbreak's summit cairn with Grasmoor and Whiteside in the cloud

Looking north towards Loweswater


From the top I headed down what turned out to be a much steeper path that I expected to Mosedale.  I saw the first walkers of the day as I descended, and they stood and watched me for a while, think they thought I was mad!  


Hen Comb


Once down in the valley the path headed south along the side of Mosedale Beck.  There was clearly some damage from the heavy rains back in November.



Land slide in Mosedale



Seeing the damage I was concerned that the footbridge I was planning on crossing was still going to be there.  But to my relief a study metal bridge had survived the bad weather and I crossed making my way up the steep grassy slope of Hen Comb.  




There is no path up here, which made it slow going.  As I headed up the sun came out and some of the clouds lifted.


Hen Comb summit cairn with Mellbreak and Grasmoor in the background


Looking south from Hen Comb with Buttermere in the distance

From Hen Comb I decided to head back to the car.  It was a much more gentle decent than from Mellbreak, over Little Dodd and towards High Nook Farm and back to my starting point.


On the way home I decided to drive over the old Mosser Road.  It has been a while since I have been over it, and since last time it has become very interesting!! The sign saying unsuitable for cars is quite correct, but my the Landy managed just fine!  At the top four buzzards were circling just above the road, which made a nice end to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment