Sunday 31 January 2010

The Coledale Horseshoe (30/01/10)



  1. Grisedale Pike
  2. Crag Hill
  3. Sail
  4. Outerside
  5. Barrow
Well after a few weeks of being lazy and not getting out in good time I decided it had to change.  So I got up early and headed for Braithwaite.  There was some ice floating on the northern end of Bassenthwaite Lake and the car was showing -5°C.  However, the sun was coming out and the forecast was for  good weather, and for a change they were correct!


Out of the car park I headed along the good path up to Sleet How and eventually onto Grisedale Pike.


The early morning sun on Grisedale Pike to the left and Crag Hill and Sail on the left

Sunrise over Derwent Water

The wind was very light as I made my way to the top, and it was so peaceful, only met one other person going up.  At the last push before the top I meet the snow line so decided it would be sensible to put my crampons on.  From the top the views were great!


On the summit of Grisedale Pike with Sail behind me


Crag Hill and Sail from Grisedale Pike

Hopegill Head and Grasmoor from Grisedale Pike


Skiddaw and Blencathra from Grisedale Pike


From Grisedale Pike, I headed over the unnamed peak and down into Coledale Hause. I have always like this place, but have never been able to put my finger on why. From the Hause I headed south, deciding to take the easy path up to Crag Hill (Wainwright call this Eel Crag, but the OS decided to use Crag Hill) rather than tackle the scramble.


Looking across to Wandope from the base of Crag Hill


The snow was really well consolidated up here and a pleasure to walk on compared the the deep powdery stuff I have encountered so far this year!


The Scafell Range from the base of Crag Hill


From there it was steady climb to the top of Crag Hill, the second Wainwright of the day.


Trig point on Crag Hill's summit with Grisedale Pike behind and Skiddaw in the distance


I headed down the Scar between Crag Hill and Sail.  This was well loaded with snow and a little tricky in places so for safety I used my ice axe.  Once safely down it was only a short climb to the top of Sail and Wainwright number 3 of the day!


From Sail I decended into the col and instead of heading up to Scar Crag (this will done on another day) I cut across the scree slope heading for Outerside.  I had seen from across the valley earlier in the day that this looked well iced up and I wasn't disappointed.  Care was needed to cross this section!


The path along the flank of Scar Crag required some caution in these conditions


With the scree safely negotiated I headed up Outerside from High Moss. I was glad of the frozen condition over High Moss as it looked very boggy and being frozen meant I could walk the direct route and not get wet!


On the way down from Outerside I started to get cramp in both my thighs and was debating whether I should head back down to the valley or continue up and over Barrow.  After a rest and some fuel I decided that there was enough daylight and my legs were capable on the final planned summit for the day.  So instead of heading down from Barrow Door I made my way up to Barrow.  So glad I did as the views were great.


My route seen from Barrow. Grisedale on the right, Crag Hill and 
Sail back left and in the centre Outerside


Bassenthwaite Lake and Skiddaw from Barrow


Derwent Water from Barrow


From Barrow it was a simple decent into the village of Braithwaite.  I was lucky to see a Peregrine Falcon on the way down, which capped off a great day, as did the rhubarb and custard sweets I bought in the village shop!!


So finally got a decent walk in and ticked off 5 Wainwrights.  This felt like the proper start of my challenge and I look forward to more great days out like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment