Saturday 2 January 2010

New Years Day

Happy New Year!

With it being the first day of the year and my challenge, I was up early to get some hills under my belt.  I was the first car to arrive in the small car park just outside Braithwaite, below Grisedale Pike.

No sooner had I opened the car door, I was slipping about on the ice, so the crampons were on straight away.  The sun was coming out and the weather was looking great.




On the way up I was passed by a young lady, who when stopped above me, dropped her map case.  I was able to collect it and reunite her with it!  A few more people appeared including a cross country skier who was enjoying the good conditions.

Just below the top I could feel a blister forming on the heal.  I hadn't worn my winter boots (Mantas) for quite a while and they were rubbing.  I was also regretting the extra plate of Christmas dinner too!!  Then as I was about the set off for the final push, the weather took a turn for the worse and I decided that I would call it a day and head down.

So not the start that I was hoping for in my challenge, but showed how unfit I am and also that I need to re-think my footwear.  Still plenty of time to get all of them in and I still really enjoyed my day out.




I also found an ice axe on my walk.  I think it could belong the same person who lost their map case.  I have left a number of messages on forums so hopefully it will get back to it's owner.  If it is the young ladies then she could really do with looking at her storage of equipment on her rucksack!

No comments:

Post a Comment