Saturday 2 January 2010

1 Down 213 to go!! Binsey on 2nd January

Following on from New Years Day unsuccessful efforts at ticking off some hills, I decided to investigate the boot issue.  Having done some reading, it seems many people are using 'walking crampons' on B0 boots.  So I tried my Grivel G10s on my Meindl Air Revolution 2s - they didn't fit!!  So I set off to Keswick to pick up some long flexible bars for the G10s.  They now fitted so it was time to try them out.

I thought it would be a good idea to try them on some gentle slops, so headed for Binsey (447 m).  I had never seen so many cars there before, it appeared to have been turned into Cumbria's sledging, skiing and boarding resort!

I picked my way past the array of sledges and soon had the place to my self.  The wind was picking up as I made progress.


Snow on the slopes of Binsey

I had the summit to myself and was pleased to finally get the challenge underway.


Binsey summit cairn

The wind was really picking up and made it difficult to stand up in the top!


Binsey summit cairn


Windswept on the top of Binsey

I got down from the summit to find some shelter and try out the crampons with the new flexi bar. The snow was firm and the combination of the Meindl boots and G10s seem to work fine.  Much more comfortable walking in them than the Mantas :-)


On the way down looking towards Derwent Water


So that's it, the challenge has now started: 1 down, 213 to go!!







1 comment:

  1. Cracking views, a good start to the challenge, I think they call this in at the deep end???

    ReplyDelete